How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a landlord who has not received any rent from my tenant

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord who has not received any rent from my tenant for 6 months. I applied for possession order from the courts but my tenant abandoned the property before the papers came through. The court has awarded that the tenant pays for the court costs but I no longer know where she is! Where do I go from here? Is there anything I can do to recover the rent arrears and court costs?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you know where they are working, or if they have any assets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is not working but claiming universal credits, don't think she has paid anything council tax, utility bills or anything else since she has been there!

Ok - so to be clear you do not know where she has gone and she is not working.

In reality you have a paper Judgment and that is it. Unless you know where she has gone there is nothing you can do.

If she had been working you could have got an attachment to earnings, but sadly this is not possible.

I am sorry but there is nothing you can do, you can deduct any costs from any deposit if taken but that is it.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex you have just confirmed my thoughts anyway.

I am sorry its not better news. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you