How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a landlord with 1 house which I have let to the same

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord with 1 house which I have let to the same family for the last 6 years through a letting agent. A couple of years ago the tenants split up but the lady wanted to stay in the house with her children. Although I had nothing to do with it as the agents dealt with everything and she signed a new contract. I have only just found out that the agents told her I wanted to increase the rent by £10 to £760 per month which she agreed to and has been paying the higher amount for the last 2 years. This was a lie, I have never spoken to the agents about a rent increase. The agents send the monthly invoices to me showing an agreed rental of £750 I have never received any increase. The rent is nearly always paid late to me and only after I have to chase the agents. The late payments are nearly always due to the agents claiming the tenant hasn't paid which seems to be common practice with letting agents. I contact the tenant myself when I think the payment is late and she can prove she has made the rental payment before the due date most of the time. So once again the agent is lying to me. Do I have a legal right to cease my agreement with the agent without having to give my tenant notice (I do not want to do) ?The only contract I have had from the agent was at the start of the rental term 6 years ago. Not the most recent contract the tenant signed 2 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have any contract with the agent please?
If so, what does it say about termination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a contract, I can only end the contract if the tenant moves out or if either of us breach the contract. If I terminate the contract with a tenant they have found still in the house I will have to pay loss of earnings to the agent.

Well the agent has lied to you. They lied about the increase and lied and new contract.

These are grounds to terminate for a fundamental breach of contract. It has destroyed all trust and confidence and as such you are entitled to end the contract without further payment to the agent.

They have behaved appalling. They have lied to you and the tenant and STOLEN money from you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way for me to terminate the contract? Should I seek professional help or is a letter from myself sufficient?

I would get a letter from a solicitor if they are tricky.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you