How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I live in a leasehold property and we have had a structural

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
I live in a leasehold property and we have had a structural issue and the balconies need replacing on the property. Should this be covered by buildings insurance which is paid yearly by the tenants, as this has been added as a maintenance charge.
Thank you for your time
Kind regards
Lorraine Mehigan


What is the cause of the structural issue resulting in the problem please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reinforced concrete holding the bacon use some have started to crumble and therefore require replacing for safety reasons. The structural surveyor has recommended they be replaced. The management company have also only received one quote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holding the balconies


Did the structural surveyor give a reason why they have started to crumble? Is it just wear and tear or was there some "event" (eg. subsisndence, storm, fire etc). .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have stated wear and tear.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

It does not sounds like you are going to be able to make a buildings insurance claim for the balconies.

Typical buildings insurance covers “event risk”, such as storms, fire

, explosion, lightning , earthquake • Subsidence, • Storm and flood • Malicious damage • Theft • Water leaking from tanks or pipes • Falling trees or branches • Television, radio-signal or satellite apparatus breaking or collapsing • Riot • Impact by aircraft, other flying devices, or any vehicle or animal • Oil leaking from heating systems.

Where one of these incidents occurs and causes damage you can make a buildings insurance claim because it is cause by one of these insured risk.

Simple wear and tear over time is not an insured risk. This means that it is likely not covered by the buildings insurance policy and therefore no claim with a prospect of success could be made.

For this reason the repairs would have to be paid for by the leaseholder as part of their service charges, as is normally the case with standard leases.

Therefore it would appear that such costs have corrected been included as part of the service charge.

However, you can pressure them to arrange a further quote for the works if you consider that the first is not competitive..

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,



Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you