How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am considering running adhoc cookery workshops from my

Customer Question

I am considering running adhoc cookery workshops from my home which I own in London. I am a leaseholder of the property not the freeholder. The freeholder is the council in the Borough of Westminster.
I may also want to air b n b my flat and also have the occassional photo shoot there and am wondering whether this would be ok given what it says in the contract.
In my lease it states the following:
18. Not to use the Demised Premises for any trade profession or business whatsoever but to
keep and use the Demised Premises as a single private Flat for residential purposes only
19. (a) Not to use the Demised Premises or permit or suffer the same to be used for any
purpose of an illegal immoral improper unpleasant noisy or noxious nature
(b) Not to damage or otherwise deface or permit the damage or defacement of any
part of the Reserved Property and in the event of any breach of this sub-paragraph to pay
to the Lessor forthwith on demand the costs of making good such damage or other
I have checked with my insurers and they said that should something happen to a customer whilst they are being taught and the accident is related to the experience then I would be covered but if an accident happened such as a tile fell off the roof on to the customer then given the wording in my lease I would be personally liable. Please can you let me know where I stand. Best wishes Hannah
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You would not be in breach of clause 19 but you would be in breach of clause 18 of the lease so you would need to get the landlord's permission as cookery classes, photoshoots and b & b are businesses which you would be running from home. So that would make it not OK to do these things from within your home. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.