How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the landlord of a property of which I rented the

This answer was rated:

I am the landlord of a property of which I rented the property through an agent who fully managed the property on my behalf, the contract ran out on the 15th May 2016 but they asked for an extension until the end of May so they could sort out another property to move into, I acknowledged the extension on the grounds they paid for the extension which was agreed through the agent. The tenant is now refusing to pay for the extra days they stayed in the property, I have asked for this to be deducted from the deposit the tenant put down but again is refusing - Where do i stand from a legal point of view with this??

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex,I am looking for advice for my submitted question relating to rent arrears, the tenants have vacated the property but have since refused to pay for the extra time the stayed in the property
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do i stand from a legal point of view with this?

Do you know where they have gone to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont know where the tenant has moved onto, I didn't have any dealings with the tenant as it was all done through the agency but I know they are still in contact with them as when i spoke to them today they informed me she is refusing to pay the rent owed

Is the deposit protected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the deposit was taken by the agency and put into a deposit protect scheme

Ok - then you should make an application to the scheme for deduction.

Its right the tenant just cant leave without paying the rent.

So make an application to the scheme. Legally you are entitled to rent and that can be deducted from the deposit, but that deduction must be approved by the scheme.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will speak to the agency again tomorrow to see if they have managed to sort the issue out, if not i will ask for the details of the scheme and get in contact with them to push this forward.Thank you for your help.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you