How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I have been approached by my landlord who is facing

This answer was rated:

I have been approached by my landlord who is facing bankruptcy and wants me to vacate at the end of the month. I have lived in the property which I have lived in for twelve years.
I was paying rent by of £250 per month for the first three years and then got into financial difficulties repaying a bank loan and consequently had my bank account closed by the RBS. The RBS would not allow me the details to re-enable me to continue paying my landlord by standing order when I went back to the RBS to enable me set up my rent payments when I joined a new bank(I am nowwith Lloyds Bank). So, bearing this in mind I had no way of contacting my landlord as he had moved to York to live and work to re-establish my rent payments.
I have continued to live here for 12 years hoping he would write or telephone or even visit the property. He never did until three days ago.
I have been 'squatting' all this time, though I have paid council tax, water, sewage, electricity, gas bills etc all this time.
Do I have any squatters rights, has he the right to force me out of the property as I have not been able to find new accommodation at such short notice.

If you refuse to leave then your landlord will have to get a court order for possession of the property.

However, if you make your landlord get a court order to get you out then he could well pursue all the rent arrears at the same time.

Personally I would find a way to leave as requested.

You could try to agree a longer period in which to leave.

Best wishes


Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you