How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

We have a tenant that has caused considerable damaged to a

This answer was rated:

We have a tenant that has caused considerable damaged to a property and it seems the deposit will not cover this. The tenant has paid the rent again by mistake, what is our position with regards ***** ***** payment and using it against the dilapidations, obviously all through the appropriate deposit scheme.

You mean he has paid when it is not due?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


The problem is that if you just retain it then the deposit scheme will almost certainly rule in his favour and release the deposit.

You can always recover the additional amount by suing him though. If it is under £10k then it would be a small claims court sum which would mean it is cheap and quick to issue against him.

In principle you could try retaining the amount and inviting him to sue if he thinks he is not liable but I wouldn't recommend it here.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you