How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have signed a false tenancy agreement due to pressure from

This answer was rated:

I have signed a false tenancy agreement due to pressure from my husband. I do not actually live in the address. How do I find out who the landlord is? My husband has all the papers. I do not know the landlord and I do not know any of the terms on the agrrement. I need to figure ouut the terms of the tenancy agreement to terminate the contract.


Do you know the property address?

Kind fregards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do! Shall I tell it to you? I found out the owner on land register but not the landlord



Thanks for your patience.

The registered proprietor of the property on the land registry title is ultimately who the landlord of the tenancy is.

They may have appointed an agent to act on their behalf in order to grant the tenancy, so that the “landlord” that you actually deal with during most of the tenancy is someone else. However, there is no central registry of tenancies so you are not likely to be able to find out.

So, I would write to the landlord/registered proprietor at the address for service noted on the land registry title and refer them to you problem. Ask for them to provide you with details of the agent (if any) appointed for the purpose of the tenancy agreement and take it from there.

The only other possibility might be to search on of the three deposit protection schemes to see if the deposit given for the tenancy is lodged with them. They may be able to confirm the agent for the landlord. The schemes are the three links first bullet pointed on the following page:

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. If you are satisfied then please leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the land register it doesnt have an address it says "incorporated in british islands"Also I never signed to pay any rent. I never paid a deposit. I just stated that I live at the property. Could they claim for rent even though I didnt agree to pay rent? Could they claim for damages etc even though I never lived at the property?


Well, that sounds like it's company, in which case you will have to do a company search and then write to them at the registered company address.

If you signed simply as an "occupier" and not as tenant then you would probably not be sued for rent. However, if you signed as "tenant" then you could be sued.

Please remember to leave feedback


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should i write to them? that i request details of the landlord and my tenancy agreement? Do i have any law within which i can request the details? Could they sue me for some extortianete amoutn jsut for the sake of it? saying i have caused 5 million pounds worth of damage for example? is that possible, or would they have to prove it somehow?


Yes, you would have to write to them to request a copy of the tenancy agreement to check your break/termination rights.

If there was damage caused to the property as result of the tenancy then they would be able to sue you for breach of contract. They can't just pluck figures out of the air though; they must show actualy financial loss with evidence in order to claim a sum of money.

Please leave feedback


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they dont answer me what can I do? I read somewhere I have right to know the landlords details within 21 days

They have to answer you. They must provide you with information within 21 days, otherwise they could be fined.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they sued me it wouldnt actually matter that I dont and didn't live there? I was forced to sign the agreement by my violent husband (and I have proof of the violence)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!


It most likely would not matter that you did not live there. You signed the tenancy agreement and it is therefore legally binding.

It's awful that your husband put pressure on you, but it does not affect the landlord's rights in these circumstances because they did not pressure you or put you under duress

Please remember to leave feedback


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

You have not leave feedback. Please do so using the stars at the top of the page..


Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you