How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10729
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband and I own our own home with no mortgage. My son

This answer was rated:

Good morning
My husband and I own our own home with no mortgage. My son is separated from his wife but he is still co-owner of his property and pays half the mortgage. There are two options I am considering:
1. I may be able to buy a cheap property from my own funds for my son to live in and pay us rent.
2. Can I raise a loan against my property to buy my son a house. What are the tax implications if my son pays rent to us to enable us to repay our loan.


Thanks for your enquiry.

1. If this property is bought in your name, it will attract the higher rate of Stamp Duty, which has recently been introduced for people buying buy to let/second properties. If you google "Stamp Duty calculator" it will confirm how much Stamp Duty it is, dependent of course on the purchase price. It would also be subject to Capital Gains tax if any profit is made at the time you sell. If you proceed, you would then just have to declare the rent as income by way of an annual tax return.

2. Depending on your age/finances, you should be able to raise a Mortgage (this would have to be applied for in the joint names of yourself and your husband as both of your names are ***** ***** Deeds, however). Again, any rent received by you would need to be declared as income.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If I have helped, please would you be kind enough to rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Please don't forget to rate my answer, if I have helped. Thanks Al


Please would you be kind enough to rate my answer, if I have helped.



Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you