How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10257
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have given a guarantee against any failure of my grand

Customer Question

I have given a guarantee against any failure of my grand daughter to pay her rent. Can I remove that guarantee at any time?.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

It depends the terms of the guarantee. Usually, you can only get out of it if your granddaughter vacates the property.

Sometimes, they are specified to just be for the initial tenancy but that would be unusual. There is no incentive for the landlord having the benefit of a guarantor, to release that guarantor.

It is worth mildly mentioning that if you did not get a copy of the tenancy agreement at the same time as the guarantee, then the guarantee is not enforceable anyway.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Indeed. You have done all that any citizen would be required to do. Best wishes.

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to call. Can I have your contact details please?