How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought a new build house from a National House builder

This answer was rated:

I bought a new build house from a National House builder which was riddled with defects.
I am trying to understand what compensation would be due to me for the breach of contract.
The house is in breach of planning and building regulations and it has not been built as per specifications
I understand compensation would be due as follows:
1) for the time lost/ loss of earnings: time spent solving the problem or giving access to the builder for remedial works / disruption time
2) compensation for distress and inconvenience: as per general law
3)out of pocket / expenses incurred in doing remedial works by ourselves.
In addition to this, we did a subject access request under the data protection act, and we found that all the defect were preventable and that the builder knew about them but did not want to admit anything fearing rippling effect to other houses in the development having the same issues and claiming remedial works / compensation
We also found that the builder was tweaking/ manufacturing reports to say no, or to appear that there was nothing wrong to the house
Finally: the builder was saying things about us internally, which were not true. They were making derogative and disrespectful comments to damage our reputation, painting us as some kind of low class individuals seeking to make spurious claims. The said comments were in writing and disseminated both internally and to third parties, all aimed at painting the wrong picture about us and to try and prevent us to access remedial works. Therefore we have a defamation and libel claim
Ideally I am looking for advice on what would correspond to us in the court of law.
We are now talking to the builders because our case was shown in dispatches - channel 4, and therefore we hope to reach an agreement with the builder so I need to know if the compensation that we are asking for is reasonable
We have a meeting with the builder tomorrow so this is urgent
Ideally, I would prefer if I could speak to someone

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Thanks for the background - what is it you would like to know about this today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ideally I am looking to have a chat about this matter as there are several aspects to it. I would need to do this this morning as I have a meeting with the builder tomorrow
I would like help from Remus 2004 your Barrister, just to make sure that we are on the right track.
I can give as much background as you need

Thanks. We can talk on the telephone, it is an additional service which you would need to accept in order to do that.

Or we can keep it online if you prefer.

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
telephone is fine but will I be able to speak to your Barrister to make sure that I get the correct answer with someone used to prepare / and defend claimants at court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy to arrange a phone call appointment time. I really NEED to talk to someone

Sure. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another question for Alex the barrister.
Due to the fact that there is a defect in the construction we have been unable to use an entire floor of the house for the last two years. Can I obtain financial compensation for this say take the cost of the mortgage for the last two years and divide it by four (the house has four floors but we can only use 3 floors)
And what area of the law would this be, thanks