How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My wife and I occupy a single dwelling but I am the sole

This answer was rated:

My wife and I occupy a single dwelling but I am the sole owner of the property. I now wish to include my wife as being an equal owner in all respects. What should I do please?


Is there a mortgage on the property please?

Is there a particular reason motivating the transfer at all?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no mortgage, the property is freehold and there is no encumbrance whatsoever. We have been in residence over twelve years and time is passing. My motivation is purely my love for my wife and a desire to make matters as easy for her in the event that I predecease her.

Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.



Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Technically, there is no legal requirement to instruct a solicitor to arrange the transfer and registration of the transfer at Land Registry. However, there may be elements relating to your particular personal circumstances or the land registry registered title for the property which dictates that it would be prudent to instruct a solicitor. It should cost around £250-300 for a solicitor to do this for you.

If you still wish to proceed in view of this then you can arrange it yourselves if you wish

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine to find the title number :-!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.

You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to you/wife (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website

by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-

Additionally, you will have to decide between you how you wish to hold the property. There are two options; (1) tenants in common or (2) joint tenants. This link very briefly describes the difference between the two, but you will see from a google search of the topic that there is plenty of literature out there giving information.

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

You will both also have to download an ID1 form from the above for each of you. Complete this then take it to a solicitor to certify for £10 and submit this with your AP1 application.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,



Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you