How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2456
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I jointly own a property with my mother who is going into

Customer Question

I jointly own a property with my mother who is going into care, I don't want to sell the property. Will my mothers half of the property be treated as capital?
I have read that it is valued at market value and therefore her half would be worth very little , as the probably the only interested buyer would be the other owner. Is this correct?
How would her half of the property be valued?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you and your mother in England or Wales?

-How old are you?

-Do you occupy the property?

-What is the value of the property and outstanding mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx £220K No outstanding mortgage
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Who will be occupying the property and is the care proposed for long or short-term?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not happy paying anymore
I will terminate now at get refund