How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I have tap that sqirts a lot of water from the side when

Customer Question

I have tap that sqirts a lot of water from the side when using it in the kitchen I reported to the agent they sent a plume out a week later he said we need a new tap he reported back to the agent that was four weeks ago and the tap is now getting worse I have phoned the agent to find out what is happening and they said they would get back to me but that was a week ago now I'm thinking of getting it fixed my self and taking the cost for the repair from my rent can I do this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.


There is a statute which allows a tenant in specific circumstances when a tenant can deduct or set off sums from rental payments when it has incurred sums to remedy defaults by the landlord in computing with its repairing obligations.

However assured shorthold tenancy agreements usually probit the tenant from exercising this statutory right.

If you do deduct from rent the landlord can recover the sums out of the deposit and you will have to top up the deposit. Or the landlord can take it as a default on payment of Rent, it could be recovered from you via the court with interest and fees added.

You can undertake the works and request the landlord refund you, if it fails to do so then you can take the matter to the small claims court to recover the amount, plus interest and court fees.

I hope this clarifies the position. Do let me know if you have questions or queries. Happy to assist further in respect of my response.

Please can I kindly request that you take a moment to accept /positive rate my response so that I receive credit for my time in responding to your query. Many thanks.

Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any queries?

Happy to assist further but please can you accept /positive rate my reply otherwise the website will not pay me for assisting you. Many thanks