How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12173
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Several trees and bushes overhanging my property from a

This answer was rated:

Several trees and bushes overhanging my property from a neighbours property which also blocks out light and creates long shadows.

Thanks for your question. You can cut overhanging branches away yourself. However if the light is still being blocked and you have asked your neighbour to do something about it, without success, then you can ask the local authority to intervene and apply for a high hedges order. That order would force your neighbour to take action and remove those parts of the trees causing a lack of light. I'll post the rules for which are on the Scottish Government website.

Here is the link:

JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you