How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Are my neighbours allowed to put scaffolding in my garden to

This answer was rated:

Are my neighbours allowed to put scaffolding in my garden to do a loft conversion with or without my permission. NB their house is in the next street at the end of my garden...and they have a front and back garden of their own.
Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. Unless your neighbours Deeds grant them a right of access onto your land and a right to erect scaffolding, they certainly can't come onto your land, without consent. Some Deeds grant a neighbour to access their next door neighbour's land for the purpose of carrying out maintenance, but this right is normally restricted to a right of access and not a right to erect scaffolding. However, I note your neighbour does not even live next door to you and as such I would be amazed if their Deeds granted right of access on to your land, let alone a right to erect scaffolding. I you are not willing to grant consent, the neighbour has no right to enter and there is no legislation in place to change this- the Access to Neighbouring Land Act allows a party to go to Court to get permission to enter a neighbour's property if urgent repairs are required, but this Act does not cover scenarios where neighbours wish to carry out improvements to their property, which is the case here. I hope this assists and answers your question. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you