How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

My tenancy agreement it fixed for a 12 moth period. I have

This answer was rated:

My tenancy agreement it fixed for a 12 moth period. I have no clause about subletting.Can i sublet the property to multiple individuals not of the same family without written consent from my landlord

Is this an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a private tenancy agreement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i rented a full property through my corporate company from a private individual and now want to sublet it out to young profesionals because i am relocating back to europe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i dont inform the landlord would he be able to terminate the tenancy. the contract said nothing about subletting

Sorry, I lost my connection.

Unless you have written permission from your landlord you cannot sublet.

There would also be issues here about the house being used for multiple occupation without proper licences.

You cannot rely on the absence of a prohibition in the contract to sublet. You need positive permission to do so.

Sorry if that is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is perfect and very clear thank you. Can you just tell me if this is by a specific UK law?

Yes, I'm in the Uk and only deal with England and Wales.

Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again I was after the specific law. But I guess best for me is to talk to my landlord and see if we can arrange terms of termination. Thanks again