How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35046
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am executor of my mothers will. Her estate is a 50% share

This answer was rated:

I am executor of my mothers will.
Her estate is a 50% share in my house, as tenants in common.
In her will (for which we have been granted probate) its stated that we pay any funeral costs and outstanding debts and the remainder to be shared between my sister and myself.
My mother has an outstanding debt to her care home which I intend to pay Immediately upon sale of my house (its is currently on the market).
The solicitors acting for the care home are saying I have to transfer the house to my sister and I before the sale so they can arrange for a revised mortgage deed (?).
I however have simply opened an executors account to execute the will from.
Surely changing the deeds will then leave me in the position of having to recover funds from my sister to honour the debt and the will?
My question is MUST I transfer the house first (as the solicitors are implying) or is this just so they can get the revised mortgage deed thing?
John Blowes

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

You are correct - this is about the Care Home Solicitors trying to force your hand to protect their client

Your only requirement is to market your property to realise the asset

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worth every penny !

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I finish to pay???

You have - many thanks