How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a secure housing tenant of Bristol City Council. I have

This answer was rated:

I am a secure housing tenant of Bristol City Council. I have been a tenant for 50 years and in my current property for 45 years. The property was originally allocated as part of my job on a large Council owned public open space but I do have a full secure tenancy.
My rent was always low to reflect the responsibilities of my job. I am now retired from my post.
I have recently received a letter from the City's Housing Department informing me that to bring my property into line with similar three bed roomed properties my rent is to increase fourfold.
This seems to me unreasonable and I would like to know if the Council are within their rights to do this?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there in no further additional cost then I am happy for you to continue
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. There is no additional charge.
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Hello Robert my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does the tenancy say you will get a reduced rent, or they will increase it once you stop work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ash,
Re my tenancy, there is no mention written or verbal that I would get or was entitled to a a reduced rent or that when I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
retired my rent would increase. I can to an extent accept an increase to bring my rent into line with similar properties, my concern is that it has quadrupled overnight.
Robert Westlake

Are the similar properties charges a similar sum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a letter from a service director for Bristol City Council I was informed that the council are 'reviewing rent levels for all properties within Parks and Estates. [These are properties outside of the normal social housing stock] and that my rent needs to be brought in line with Bristol City Council rent levels for social housing.
The letter goes on, '£101.49 is the current BCC rent for a 3 bed roomed house in your ward area'
The letter concludes, 'I understand that you have enjoyed a much lower rent for several years but this does now need to be addressed to ensure that all tenants are paying rent at a consistent and fair level' ' The new rent level will take effect from 1st October 2016'
Robert Westlake

This is what you need to do - complain to the Chief Officer of the Council. They will investigate your complaint and get back to you.

If that office does not uphold your complaint then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at:

Finally you can consider a Judicial Review, this is where a High Court examines the decision to see whether it is legal and reasonable.

A Court can either agree with the decision or send it back to the Council to consider again.

For more information on that process can be found at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ash, I will follow your advice

All the best and good luck.