How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am owed a large sum of money by a builder who abandoned

This answer was rated:

Hi I am owed a large sum of money by a builder who abandoned work on my house and left after collecting payments. He subsequently sent further invoices after his contract was terminated.
There was no written agreement but I have 10+ emails which confirm what he had agreed to do. He did not reply to any of these emails during his work but carried on work as and when it suited him.
A single joint building expert has been appointed by the court and I have allowed him to access my property on a specific date. Defendants legal representative (whose work is supervised by a solicitor) insists on attending this inspection. He has been obstructive throughout the proceedings and I fear he will try to influence the expert . I am LIP. Considering the state my house was left in I am not keen to allow builder or his representative or anyone other than the expert to attend for inspection. This is a joint instruction. . I have no intention of speaking to him or influencing him ,the state of the house is for all to see and is documented in 100+ pictures.
Am I required to allow the defendants legs representative into my house considering that the expert is supposed to carry out his inspection independently

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does the Court order say D Sols can be there? If not, then no you dont need to allow it

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Court Order does not say D's solicitor is allowed to be present , it says access will be granted (for inspection by the expert). I have told the D's legal representative that I do not wish him to be present at my house during this inspection and if he disagrees he will need to make an application notice. He has asked the expert to write that since it is a joint instruction D's rep should also be allowed to be present!

All the defects were subsequently rectified by 10+ tradesmen/workmen over the past year.

Thank you .

Ok - then D Solicitor does not need top be present and he can make an application as you suggest.
Can I clarify anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for prompt and to the point reply. excellent