How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a property which was being let through a letting

This answer was rated:

I have a property which was being let through a letting agent from June 2006. This was an AST.
I decided in February 2015, that the agent was letting us down due to delays in payment of rent. The agent prepared a new assured short term tenancy agreement in joint names for the married couple to commence in my name as part of the severance. At this point only one tenant was available to sign a tenancy agreement. The other was abroad doing missionary work. So only one tenant signed the agreement. The second tenants signature was marked 'not present'. The second tenant has never signed the agreement subsequently. I have now issued an possession notice in May and the legal notice period expired on the 16th August. The tenant has not left the property and still paying rent. I need to apply to the court for a possession order but do I complete the form with just the tenants name who signed the agreement.?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Has the tenant who was abroad ever signed anything please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you able to provide me with an answer based on what you have read. I am concerned at escalating costs without seeing anything in return.Regards *****

Sure Chris we can keep it online. Has the Tenant who was abroad ever signed anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the original AST in 2006.Nothing since and nothing to do with the AST commencing in Feb 2015.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else since either.

Is this other person living there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been living there but was not always around I saw him once at the premises when I replaced some replaced some circuitry in the boiler and once at the hospital.

Ok - then you need to name the tenant who lives on the property on the claim form for possession.

So yes, its just the tenant who signed the agreement

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I name him as someone over the age of 18 whof has lived at the premises?

Yes I would.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youRegards ***** *****

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you