How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can a wife claim for her personal costs in improving her

This answer was rated:

Can a wife claim for her personal costs in improving her husband's home after his death and when there is no mention of this in his Will?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk is involved and what provision has been made for the Wife within the Will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England. Half the property has been left to the wife.

How long had they been living together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
married for 27 years

Who has he left his half to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to his 3 sons. the wife is a second wife and not the mother of his 3 sons.

What provision was made for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just half of the property. she can live in the property for 2 years with household bills paid for out of the estate when the house is sold.

Then I have to be blunt - that is insufficient provision after 27 years - half the house would be seen as being hers anyway.

Accordingly if she is willing to settle for costs of improvements this would be a much cheaper settlement - if it went to court she might well be awarded the whole property

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Clare

You are most welcome

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you