How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I need to legally transfer part equity of my housecond to my

Customer Question

I need to legally transfer part equity of my housecond to my husband. I don't want to put him on the mortgage. Is there a letter I can write to do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other half is lending me 25k and I want to transfer that as assurance to him as part of the equity in my house
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Are you aware that he has Matrimonial Home rights and a share of the equity even though the house is in your sole name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We aren't actually legally married
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

AH I see.

Then what you need is a Declaration of Trust which state that you hold the property on trust for you both - in unequal shares

This can then be Registered as a restriction at the Land Registry for extra protection

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about doing this?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You can ask a local solicitor to deal with drawing one up