How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35047
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am buying a house as a cash buyer and am not going through

This answer was rated:

I am buying a house as a cash buyer and am not going through an agent. I know the area and houses well so am not concerned about having surveys done. Please can you tell me what I am legally obliged to do in order to purchase this property? Thank you

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Who will deal with the legalities for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a solicitor to do any legal work. I just don't want to pay for anything which doesn't need to be done as I am not bound by a mortgage company. thanks

Very little of the work done by a conveyancer is exclusively for the benefit of the Mortgage Company.

In fact all of the searches and enquiries are the same - the only difference in your case is that is you not the Mortgage Company who decides

whether a problem is insurmountable or not!

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, my question really is what must I do? I don't really want to do searches if I don't have to as I know the house and the area. Could I simply transfer the money myself and do nothing at all, or am I bound by some law to do certain things?

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the current occupants? I don't know but even if there is that will just move with them to their new home won't it? I will not have a mortgage.

No it does not move on - and that is why you need to instruct a conveyancer to deal with all the appropriate paperwork and ensure that the Mortgage is discharged and there are no other legal problems with the ownership - that is the purpose of the searches

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you