How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a shared ownership of a property with a brother and

Customer Question

I have a shared ownership of a property with a brother and my mother lives there. It now seems my brother may move in. I have no intentions of making my mother move or changing her circumstances. But I've been told when she may go if he stays there he can stop me selling the house and I've been told that's his intentions. What I would like to know is is there a way of stopping this happening or getting him to sell or if he will not move can I charge him rent for my half of the property and would this affect my ownership? Also would I be able to rent out two of the five bedrooms?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

The fact that your brother has moved into the property will not give him any extra rights regarding it

When the time comes if he refuses to sell you can obtain an Order for Sale from the Court - and an Order that he pay the costs of your doing so

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details