How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10731
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have a i bedroom flat which I have bought however the

This answer was rated:

I have a i bedroom flat which I have bought however the Freeholder is nowhere to be found I wish to extend the lease ,how can I go about this.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

If, after all reasonable efforts, the landlord cannot be found, this should not prove an obstacle to apply for a lease extension-

  • If the landlord just cannot be found then you can make an application to the county court for a lease extension, known as a Vesting Order. If the court is satisfied that you qualify for a Lease extension (you qualify if you have owned your Flat for 2 years or more) then it will, in effect, grant the lease to the leaseholder in the landlord’s absence. The court will usually refer the case to the Tribunal for determination of the premium. You should speak to a local Solicitor to progress matters. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you