How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My ex and I still own our home and we would like to sign it

This answer was rated:

My ex and I still own our home and we would like to sign it over to our eldest daughter who has lived there for the last ten years. The house is in Bromborough Wirral and I live in Wales and my ex lives in the north of Scotland. Is there any way that this could be done by post so that we don't all have to make the long journey to go to the same solicitors office? We have two daughter and as soon as the building societies allow it, I think in six months she wants to get a mortgage for half the value of the house to give to her sister. We would need a legal letter protecting half the house for our youngest daughter until her sister got the mortgage. Thank you

Yes , these days it is usual that conveyancing is dealt with by post and e mail. Documents can not only be sent by post but scanned and sent by e mail as well. Any local solicitor to you who deals with conveyancing can assist you with this, including the matter of the youngest daughter's interest.

Best regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the promp answer. The deeds are in Bromborough at the house so I will ask my daughter to send them to me. Will the solicitor just send some paperwork to my ex to sign or will he need to go to a solicitors office to sign it. I think his nearest solicitors office is in Inverness about*****from his highland retreat, so he is not keen to make the drive. (Although he could be exaggerating the time involved in the journey). Do you have any idea the kind of cost it will be. I do not expect it to be spot on just a general idea so that I can make sure I have the funds before I approach anyone. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to send the above as a new question as it still pertains to my original question. Thank you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not got back to me on the second part of my question will either me or my ex have to go to a solicitors office to sign any documents? Thank you

Each party may feel it necessary to instruct their own legal advisors but only if a conflict arises.Whilst you have a united joint enterprise one solicitor can do the job

There is no need to leave the comfort of your armchair though to go anywhere.

I have just bought a house and never met my solicitor and never been to her, offices delightful as that would have been.

Best regards


Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you