How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I am a landlord. My tenant who is more than 2 months in

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord. My tenant who is more than 2 months in arrears with her rent is refusing me access to inspect the property . Is it illegal for me to break in by using a locksmith.

Yes , you need a court order to get possession of a residential property. The penalties under the Protection from Eviction Act are awesome should you choose to do anything else.

Best regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only want to gain entry for an energy assessor to rate the property. Without issuing her a certificate I cannot begin the process.

Do you have a set of keys?

Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but on both occasions I have been unable to gain entry. I do give a minimum of 3 days notice of my request.