How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6761
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Please could you clarify that with regards Lettings in HMO

This answer was rated:

Good Morning,
Please could you clarify that with regards ***** ***** HMO properties where 4 tenants have individual tenancies and we have a 5th spare bedroom, whether we have to give the tenants notice to enter the communal areas/ garden and spare room to hang curtains for a prospective tenant.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the tenancy agreement with the 4 allow you to do this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes as they have tenancies for their room only and it is not a joint tenancy for the whole property.

But it says you have access?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely - We can carry out necessary repairs/ upkeeping the maintenance & decor of the property as it is a HMO. Joint tenancies are agreed that we MUST give at least 24 hours notice before entering the property unless in an emergency.

Ok - the yes that is fine. The agreement allows for access and you just need to give notice.

Although you probably dont need to give notice as this is a lodger agreement, you should as a matter of politeness to your existing tenants.

In any event those tenants can not object because the agreement allows it

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you