How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10738
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I own my semi -detachedThe house.finished mortgage

This answer was rated:

I own my semi -detachedThe house.finished mortgage in1998.have the deeds.The property has a 99 year lease and a £6 a year ground rent,I have not received a request or been able to make any payment since June 1998.I do know that the person I payed died around this time.Can you advise on my position

Hi, in law a Freeholder can claim up to 6 years of ground rent, so as and when the "new Freeholder" comes forward, you would only be liable to him £36.

Looking ahead, you may want to try and find out who is the new Freeholder as you will need to provide this information to your Buyer as and when you come to sell.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i find the new Freeholder.If there is one?