How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10778
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My son and I are tenants in common on our house what does

This answer was rated:

My son and I are tenants in common on our house what does this mean

Hi, it means that you and your Son hold a separate share each in the house, which share passes in accordance with your Will. Unless you had agreed otherwise, you will both be owning a 50% each. I hope this clarifies the position to you. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does this mean he would still have to pay inheritance tax on my half

Hi, no- as you both own a separate share, you are classed as only owning 50%. Hope this helps. Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could I leave my half to my daughter I am concerned that the house my husband and I have will have to be sold to pay any inheritance tax and I want to make sure that they will have a home each to live in.

Hi, yes- you are free to leave your 50% to whoever you wish. You should therefore make a Will, leaving your share to your Daughter. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

You're welcome. Many thanks Al