How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I own a flat (leaseholder) in a block of flats which is owned by Enfield council. I moved in 4 years ago. There is a major construction work in progress on the whole building. The estimated cost for my property for the work is £14,619.78. This includes repair of external brickwork and a complete replacement of the roof. A preliminary plan was to repair the roof which now obviously reflected in increase in the cost. The building is 42 years old and there was not done any major work since it was built. Is there any chance that i would get a discount (proportion of the time me living in the property) for my estimated cost?

Hi, you need to refer to your Lease to see what your liability is towards any external works. However, all Leases will stipulate that you and the other Leaseholders will be responsible for a due proportion or percentage of these works. I'm afraid it won't allow for any discount for parties who have been living there for a shorter period of time- you all will need to pay the same amount, whether you have been there 1 year or 20 years. Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you