How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7042
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

We have been through a Section 20 consultation and have now

This answer was rated:

We have been through a Section 20 consultation and have now received a notice of estimates for major works. I was prepared for a hit but the figures are astronomical and I need to get some of the costs down. We are on the consultation period now but I need a conversation about the figures, not just to send comments. Do I have a right to negotiate the costs down without professional back-up? Should I employ a quantity surveyor or other professional to substantiate my cost queries? Unsure how to proceed. And I am sure that some of the costs are too high/not competitive.

Given the figures are astronomical employing a quantity surveyor to view the property and the consider the nature and cost of the works proposed would be Worth every penny and in the end save you a fortune.

Best wishes


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Should I engage a QS now, independently, during the consultation period, or suggest that the freeholder engage one in my formal comments? I have the spec and the cost breakdown but would the QS need direct contact with the contractor?

It depends on how you propose to approach it.

You do not want to say something which later your expert cannot support or agree something that your expert may later say that you had no need to agree.

But you could argue in broad terms saying that is too high without being too specific and see whether they change position.

You can suggest a meeting if you feel it will cut through things but first I would get the QS comments in writing on the estimates.

Best regards


Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you