How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6759
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a shop on lease which still has nine year left.

This answer was rated:

I have a shop on long lease which still has nine year left. Someone wanted to buy the lease from me last year but they haven’t got money so I have give my shop on monthly instalment to them, which is in written and attested by a lawyer. We notified the landlord this agreement and he had no objection then. Now my landlord is trying to make another lease under their name with increase rent.
Can they do this ? and what is my legal rights?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you got anything in Landlord to agree it in the first place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we don't have anything in written.

But the Landlord never objected in the first place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he didn't, he verbally agreed with it, we even introduced them to the landlord before we made the agreement and it was all OK.

Ok. So it was all done, assigned and then he objected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he hasn't said anything to us but he is going behind our back to the tenant and taken 6 months deposit money from them. So now they are not paying us our monthly installment, as they are getting a new lease.

The Landlord can't do this. You have a lease, they do not. So the Landlord can NOT give them a new lease.

its your property and you have the lease.

The Landlord rent the property which you have the lease for.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we haven't broken any laws then. so why he is doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what action should we be taking?

No. Its a contractual matter.

Its breach of contract. So he can pursue the Limited company for the remaining term

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't understand you mean he terminate the lease

Sorry. I dont know why he is doing this.

He appears to be terminating the lease yes.

That way if he terminates then you are released

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then we are losing our money and we can't do anything

But if he gives the lease, you are released, no more liability

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about our money which the tenant owe us and the deposit which landlord has?

You can sue the Landlord for the deposit and the tenant for any money they owe you

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How ? through you

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Thanks much appreciate for your advice

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you