How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Is it possible to put our home just in my wife's name and

Customer Question

Is it possible to put our home just in my wife's name and would this then protect our home against any creditors I may have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is there a mortgage on the Properties?

Are you already in debt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a small mortgage on the property in both our names.
Yes I have credit card debt, an overdraft and a personal loan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property is our home
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You would need the agreement of the Mortgage Company to Transfer the property, and it will not help in protecting you from any debts that you already have.

In addition if you go bankrupt within the next five years the Transfer can be reversed by the Trustee in bankruptcy

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details