How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Please can you tell me I have a joint Merlin housing tenancy

This answer was rated:

Please can you tell me I have a joint Merlin housing tenancy however my girlfriend and I seperated and I moved out three years ago . My ex girlfriend recently owes rent arrears to Merlin housing association . Can you please tell me as I have not lived at the property for three years and when I left I paid all rent up to date am I still liable for her arrears ?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did you have your name removed from the tenancy when you left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within the first year of leaving I cleared the rent arrears twice that my ex ran up and was told the second time by Melin that they understand i do not live at the premises to which I also put in writing to them and I when I called them by phone I was asures I would not be responsible for any other rent arrears . I do not have this in writing this was back in 2012 .

Did you actually ask to be removed from the tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you respond , I did ask Merlin to remove me from the rent book and I thought it was done . I am now being told by my ex that it was not done ?

My apologies for the delay

Technically if your name is ***** ***** the tenancy then I am afraid you are equally liable for the debt so far as the Housing Association is concerned - but you can recover any money you have to pay out from your ex.

You can also argue that you relied on the verbal information given that you woul dnot be laible - but without it in writing you may struggle

You need to apply to the housing association for a transfer of the tenancy and if they refuse because of the arrears then you may need to apply to the court for the tenancy to be transferred into your ex's sole name

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you