How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6408
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I want to rent out a property to someone who will do

This answer was rated:

Hello I want to rent out a property to someone who will do refurbishments to the property and rent out room by room for a profit. The term agreed is 2 and a half years and me the landlord will only be responsible for the exterior repairs. It is imperative for me that the terms are AST so that I can terminate the lease by the end of the term. Is there a problem with this as the tenant is responsible for the interior? Does this convert the agreement automatically to commercial? Is there a way to do it correctly?
Thanks *****

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

In the agreement does it say this person will refurbish please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you can rent it on an AST. But if the agreement does not state they will refurbish the property then they do not have to.

If you want them to do this, you should include it.

But an AST is fine.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can make a clause in the agreement to say tenant responsible for the interior including boiler and heating or electrical repairs and it will still remain AST?

Yes, because it would be a term that would be agreed.

But you need to make it obvious and draw the attention of the tenant to it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Great! I will write to them in a letter clearly saying that despite for the tenant being responsible for the interior the basis of the agreement is an AST with a fixed period.
May I respectfully ***** ***** this advise in insured as you would expect when paying for advise.
It was a big help.

This is a question and answer site, no professional relationship exists between you and the site, as per the terms and conditions.

If you are in any doubt you should seek independent legal advice.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you