How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Property Deeds 1876: I live in a house built in the 1800's

This answer was rated:

Property Deeds 1876 : I live in a house built in the 1800's and the deeds we have are dated 1876. on the deeds ( written in a very odd style of English ) it states that the garden walls are to be treated as Party walls. there is a pen amendment on the deeds dated 1964 which states ' agreed and no changes.' there is also a diagram on the deeds but due to the age - it does not have the 'T' symbol which most modern deeds have to denote wall ownership. the solicitor who dealt with our house purchase say that they have not found any other documents, amendments or party wall notices. my neighbours to the other side of the wall - who's house were built much much - later are disputing the party wall and claim its a retaining wall (retaining soil) and 100% my responsibility. am I within my rights since I have the deeds statement and there is no 'T' on the plan to keep the understanding that this is a party wall ?


Thanks for your enquiry.

If there is nothing in either set of Deeds showing that one party is responsible is responsible for maintaining a boundary wall, then the law states it is joint responsibility/a party wall.

Hence, unless your neighbour can prove, by way of documentation, that this wall is your responsibility, it is indeed a party wall!

I hope this clarifies the position to you.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you