How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to give my niece my house before I die (to shed any

This answer was rated:

I want to give my niece my house before I die (to shed any responsibility I have for running it) and set up a trust so that my sister, her mum, benefits from any rental income. Is this simple to do? Simpler and cheaper than gifting it? The property in question has been a buy-to-let until recently.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Why dod you not wish to give the property directly to your sister?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your question - it would seem the most straight forward thing to do, gift it, but Sam your colleague, tax expert, has tried to help me work out what relief I can get because the property was let out and I have not lived in it for more than 5 years. Owned it since 2001.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Willing it seems more straightforward. 20% inheritance tax (for a trust) for anything above the value of £325,000.

What is the value of your assets in total?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;560,000- the house
£40,000 - savings in the bank
£600,000 in total

My apologies - for some reason my answer on this was swallowed by the Ether

If the issue is one of Capital Gains and Inheritance Tax then yes a Trust would be a better option - but it certainly is not simpler than gifting it - nor cheaper.

Setting up a Trust will have it's own Tax implications in terms of annual tax returns - and will also

have relatively expensive legal costs.

However it is posisble that the benefit will indeed outweigh the expense depending of course on what the actual liability for CGT is

Please ask if you need further details



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking it is best to just will it to my niece now and Capital gains tax will reduce as long as I live there as my main residence - for the moment. Then at a later time to gift it to my niece? Or have the deeds changed so her name is ***** ***** it now? Is there any advantage to doing this?

Is your living in the property a real possibility?

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am actually six months abroad each year; Singapore to look after my mum and in UK working as a live-in carer. I work for the company The Good Care Group, they pay my wages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
living there between my job (ī work and live in client's house) and Singapore is technically possible


It is your permanent home - and if you acknowledge it as such - Register to vote there etc then you will be able to claim the CGT allowance after three years and transfer it to your niece then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what I shall do! Great. Thanks Clare.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well