Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me ion the

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me ion the following.
I have recently purchased a house and was about to commence some renovation work only to discover asbestos in the walls. I was not informed of this from my lender. The lender was aware of this from a survey carried out. Are they at liberty to inform me of the asbestos?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you get a copy of the survey? Did you get your own done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only had a normal survey carried out for lending. The lender did not disclose anything about the property, only to discover the the property was of non-standard build, metal framed roof and asbestos behind the one layer of facing brick.
They stated that they were not at liberty to inform me.

That is correct. They only assess for lending purposes and whether it is a risk.

It is up to the purchaser to carry out and get any survey they feel is necessary.
So sadly it is not up to them to disclose it to you.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not even to declare about health hazard with respect to any diy?

No. They only assess risk to lending, nothing else I am sorry to say.