How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10239
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I am a council tenant in my house for 10 years, my

Customer Question

I am a council tenant in my house for 10 years, my neighbours owns his property and has had permission for a 2 story extension. We have heard that he intends to knock down the party wall this week but have not been informed can he do this without informing us
As we have a young puppy and a house cat we want to make sure they can be made liable to make it secure and not have workmen on our land as we have recently had our garden made over and do not want it destroyed. We also do not want our security to be compromised as we keep our bikes etc in our back yard
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

He must serve you with a Party Wall Act notice and if he doesn’t, you can apply to court for an injunction to stop the work pending that notice and resolution of the agreement between you.

You are also under a duty to bring what is intending, to the attention of your landlord, the Council who may take control of this for you.

Here is the government booklet on the Party Wall Act

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.