How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6452
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am asking about a joint tenancy agreement that I have

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am asking about a joint tenancy agreement that I have signed last month, with regards ***** ***** new tenant joining (landlord did it without consulting the 4 of us living here first) is there anything we can do to stop the 5th person joining? We are not fond of this tenant, and want another that also has interest. Thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what legal basis if the Landlord is doing this, if 4 of you have the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,There are 5 bedrooms, which means there is/was a vacancy of one bedroom in the property. I have had several viewings to the house to fill this bedroom, and I found someone that we all liked and wanted to move in. I notified the landlord and she replied that she already has someone that will be moving in, and they have paid the deposit and first month's rent in full. Although none of us living here agreed that this person will move in. Do I have anything to stand on regarding this? I would like another tenant to move in, not the one she has put through without our knowledge.Thanks,

Do you have lodger agreements or an agreement for the whole building?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a joint tenancy agreement

Is that signed by all 4 people?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, sent individually before we moved in, signed and scanned by all

Does it allow the Landlord to add tenants?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;1.1.3 The Tenants will be jointly and severally responsible for each other, therefore if one or more tenant leaves, for whatever reason, that tenant must find someone to continue with their contract to term or the remaining tenants will be responsible to cover their rent and bills or recruit replacement tenant/s for the remaining part of the contract term. The Landlord, or Agent, must approve the replacement tenant/s and the names/s and contact details must be added to this agreement for the remainder of the term"I'm pretty sure this states that we, as tenants, are responsible for this. would there be another part in the contract stating that the Landlord is allowed to input without us knowing?

ok. But only 4 signed the agreement. There was never a fifth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A fifth did sign this, but he left without any notice, and I never met him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to add, we all sent the landlord invidually-signed contracts, I'm not aware of a single contract that has all of our signatures on the same paper

Ok - are you paying extra rent to cover the 5th?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We would've had to, but I assume the tenant just moved in has paid from the 1st, when the rent was due

Just to be clear, when did you start the tenancy? Did you get pay for this 5th person?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm it was a bit complicated. The deed was made on 23rd August and it commences on 1st September. The 5th tenant that has now left, was a previous tenant. He paid august and september rent (but didn't live there) before deciding to move on, so no additional rent pay was due

But the 5th tenant signed the agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, he signed the contract, the same one as us 4

Ok - the Landlord can NOT put someone else in. The term says:

"tenant must find someone to continue with their contract to term or the remaining tenants will be responsible to cover their rent" and

"The Landlord, or Agent, must approve the replacement tenant/s"
It does NOT say that the Landlord can place a tenant. Therefore as such the Landlord is in breach of contract. You should get a Solicitor to write and say the Landlord cant do this and if he does you will get an injunction.

Or you can get an injunction now to stop him. Therefore you can issue proceedings using form N208:

And N16a:

The court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to stop the Landlord.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All is good, brilliant, thank you for your help! Great service and great reply times.

All the best.