How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

My ex ex partner was driving past my house one night here in

This answer was rated:

My ex ex partner was driving past my house one night here in UK . she got out and scratched my car with her keys when it was parked on my driveway. It's an old car , I was not that bothered. A neighbour apparently saw this happen and reported it to the police with her car registration She wascalled in several weeks later ,interviewed and is now being charged with Criminal damage. She has a very important job and this could damage her career. How can we stop this . We are now back together .

Have you done this before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I previously just put this out but in error tagged it for Australia law !

No, sorry, I meant call the police to a personal dispute?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never. We had a wonderful 5 year relationship but due to various pressures of work and family stuff took time apart . It's s very civilised relationship but this was a rare moment of stupidity but got my attention and we started talking again.

Ok. Have you told the police you are reluctant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not pursuing this. It seems its in the "system" and she has been told by police they are pursuing. I would happily go the police station and say I do not wish to pursue but don't know how to get this case identified and would I have any influence on such ?

If you have made a report then it is not up to you to decide whether you pursue it. It is the choice of the police. In fairness, a huge amount of public money is wasted by people deciding 'not to pursue' things and they have to justify how their resources are used.

You can make a statement to the effect you don't want to support a prosecution. That will lead to consideration of a summons.

In fairness, if you haven't done this before they probably would let you withdraw this time.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jo thanks. If the action was phoned in by a neighbour it took place on the property I was renting, I have only heard about this through my distraught partner , will the police give any weight to my letter saying I don't want to prosecute ?

Did you ever make a statement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I was not involved at all until my partner announced to me that she had been called in to the local police station. I noticed scratches on my car but did not think much of it. It all started when the neighbour called the police with her registration number after seeing her scratch my car on my drive late at night.

In that case, you wouldn't be a witness so, on the face of it, it would not matter whether you gave evidence or not.

The only issue is that they might need you to give evidence that she didn't have permission to do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will make a statement anyway and hand it in but otherwise the machine rolls forward . Thanks for help .

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.

Remus2004 and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you