Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I've rented a property, the landlord and I have both signed

I've rented a property, the landlord and I have both signed the contract and the move in date is set for tomorrow. I just got a message from the agent saying that the landlord no longer feels comfortable with the tenancy, and wishes to cancel. Is she allowed to do this? Do I have any rights? It's a one year contract with a sexlonth break clause. All might references were exceptional and in paying her the fixed term (6 months) up front. Please Advise!

What type of contract is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tenancy contract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've requested a call and am still waiting thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I couldn't get through on the phone is there any advice you can give regarding this issue?

I can call you but it would be helpful if you can give me more information now so that we can ascertain whether it is my area.

Do you mean an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup it was an "assured shorthold tenancy"

Ok. Where would you live if you couldn't move in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a family house, but it is to small for myself and my wife

Ok. But could you stay there if need be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My parents live there and my brothers and sisters live there, so I don't believe that there would be space for me and and I my wife. Also I have already payed for the rental furniture which is supposedly being moved in tomorrow

I will try calling now.

I don't actually have your number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the phone call charge me an additional £44? (So £44 + £34 i already paid)

It will. Is that OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's stick to the chat for the moment, is there any advice you can offer? Do I have any rights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The excuse they've given is that the landlord googled me last night and has as of this morning decided she no longer feels comfortable with the letting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm suspecting discrimination since I'm brown and originally from a Muslim country (I've been a British citizen since I was five)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?

Well, they are in breach of contract. You rented this property. You are entitled to occupy.

However, the fact remains they are refusing. If you were living there they wouldn't be able to get you out on this basis but you haven't moved in.

You do have a claim for the sum of the loss. If you had to rent elsewhere at a higher rate that would be claimable although you would have to prove that you tried to mitigate your loss and could not.