How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My previous landlord has withheld my entire deposit. It was

This answer was rated:

My previous landlord has withheld my entire deposit. It was newly refurbished when I moved in 30 months ago. There is a little natural wear & tear so I expected to be charged for some cleaning & carpet shampooing. He has charged me for complete redecoration & new carpets.
The house would have to have been repainted anyway as there was substantial rising damp markings & suspect he has decided on redecorating between every tenancy (as they are usual very long term lets). Do I have any recourse to argue for a lot of my deposit to be returned?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is your deposit please?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say replacement & redecoration cost them £1,50007931 706713
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've received no reply or phone call.
If you are not going to help could you please refund my £44

When would be good to call?

I am on Court so can call straight after this? Is that ok?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?