How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6459
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a commercial office which is being rented out. I have

This answer was rated:

I have a commercial office which is being rented out. I have done a 6 month license for the tenant. The tenant is also in the process of buying the property.
The completion (if it does complete) will go past the end of the 6 month license.
The tenant also owes rent - they are notoriously bad payers.
They are looking for an extension to the license because of the timing. What is the best short term tenancy agreement option to achieve this?
I am trying to avoid them dragging out the buying process and not paying their rent in the mean time.
Thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve as a result everything please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I want to encourage him to complete the sale, and pay his rent in the mean time.
I do not want to give him an extension which enables him to continue, not pay his rent and have the right to stay there if he does this.

Have contracts been exchanged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no, we are a fair way from that. Searches are currently being done. He has caused a few delays which have put the timing back.

Ok - then you are entitled to possession. You can say you are terminating the lease if you want.

But you cant force them to sign and exchange, either party can pull out at any time before exchange.

But if you end the licence then they can be turfed out.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I legally give him an extension that lasts say a month or 2 months?I am under the understanding that if a licence is exceeded by 6 months it becomes a longer term tenancy agreement. We are at the 6 month mark.

Well it can be a tenancy at will, which means it continues.

It can be longer than 6 months, just make sure it is a licence.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's perfect, thanks very much for your help.