How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I live in a flat since 2011 in same building.2 months ago i

Customer Question

hi, I live in a flat since 2011 in same building.2 months ago i got letter from agency ,the letter says, do not use your balcony ,its not safe.their engineer found out that.after then i got another letter,letter says fire engineer found out,building is not safe ,they build the building with inflammable materials also there is no fire exit because of this reason my contract terminated with them and i have to move out in 2 question is if the building is not safe,i was living there over 4 years,can i claim anything from them? because it means i was in a place which is not safe.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

The landlord / agent has only just discovered that the balcony and outbuilding are unsafe.

What do you want to claim? You only have a potential claim if you have suffered loss? Have you suffered any loss?

Was your tenancy terminated correctly, I.e can the landlord give you two months notice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i haven't suffered any loss.i just want to claim,i found out that i was living a flat not safe and they putted my life danger.can i claim only if i die in a potential fire?if they discover that when they built the building (which is only 5 years old building)i totally understand that.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

As I say, you need to quantify your loss in order to claim. The balcony was not safe but you have suffered no injury. The outbuilding was constructed in inappropriate material but you have not suffered any loss as a result. As a tenant your only potential claim is with the landlord /agent if terminated in breach of terms of the tenancy.