How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I own a small commercial building in London and I planned to

Customer Question

I own a small commercial building in London and I planned to sell it recently for 150000 pounds.I found a buyer and we agreed that he would pay 10000 pounds deposit to take the property off market.We went to Land registry and deed paperwork so he now owns 10000 worth of land.Now I decided not to sell the property for there is potential to turn it into residential.So I would like to know how I can get back full ownership and what rights that person has.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.


Do you have copies of the contract/transfer and registered title which you can upload?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,it wasn't a contract but some kind of agreement signed by me that I'm going to sell the property to that person for 148k and I don't have copies.It's still being processed by LR
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Difficult to advise without sight of the paperwork. But if the transfer is at the Land Registry it is too late. The transfer has completed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know,but can I keep the property and return deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only tiny share of the land
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can try to negotiate with the buyer and ask for the application be withdrawn, refund the money paid. If the buyer does not agree there is little you can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they force me to sell the hole property to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the owner
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Depends on what terms were in the agreement. As yet all I know I the buyer paid £10k for a small part of the land.

If the document which is at the Land Registry includes terms to buy the remainder at a later date then the buyer can possibly do so.

Can you not get a copy of the document? Try to get a copy from the buyer or land registry.

You should have a copy to have a record of shat you agreed with the buyer.