How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a buy to let property only and currently live in a

Customer Question

I have a buy to let property only and currently live in a rented accommodation. If I were to buy my main home now would I be liable for the additional 3% stamp duty? And if so, would I be able to reclaim that additional stamp if I sell my buy to let within 18 months of buying my main home?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately you would be liable for higher rate stamp duty if yoi were to now buy a further property as a main residence. Furthermore you would not be able to obtain a refund if you were to sell the buy to let as it is not a main residence being replaced by a further main residence.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.