How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have made an early termination of rental agreement (3rd of

Customer Question

hello i have made an early termination of rental agreement (3rd of November 2016) for a preprty that was meant to be vacated in 31st of january 2017, and i have agreed with my lend lady to keep my deposit of 1615£ because of that. I have all emaikl exchanges with proof of this. Hovever i have accidentaly made another payment for the month of November as i forgot to cancel the monthly repayment of my rent. Although i have vacated the property on the 3rd my land lady said on the phone she will refund the money by last friday minus the three days i ve stayed in the proprty. However has not payed any money back as of today although she did say she should have done this by last friday and she is not replying to my emails requesting confirmation of the last email expalining the issue. Do i have a case i could stand against her and request my money back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
however i used to live in the uk for 19 years i have left my property now and i live in greece since the 3rd of this month... is this an issue if i would like to proceed with my case further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why has the Landlord refused to give the rent back please?
Is it in writing or text that you can leave early?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Jamie thanks for the corespondance... she hasnt refused to give me the rent back instead she promised to have paid back by last friday although this didnt happen. Additionally yes it is in writing i could leave early, but not in writting that she will refund my money for the overpayment for the month of November. Additionally i have laready requested corespondance of the email stating the reason for refund of the overpaypeyment and she hasnt confirmed correspondance of this email yet. what shall i do next?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the response, this is really helpfull... hoever i am not residing in the UK since the 3rd of november and my current address is in Evia Greece. Would this be an issue for any of the above actions (i should take) you stated above?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You can still do this, but you might not be able to do it online

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello again the above link ( states i need a uk address under the "MCOL User Guide for Claimants" section. Can i provide a friends address for the time being? additionally the seccond link you ve given me it does not work currently ( and i get a 404 error. Finally not sure if this is an option but alternatively if i cannot proceed online and i am residing in Greece what other options do i have? can you please explain what are my alternative options? for example would you be willing to take actions on my behalf given a further payment for your service? if so can you please list the price for this or any alternative options?regards